Saturday, September 22, 2007

Intermediary

In between June 23rd and September 22nd....I continued to write to all of you.

The problem is I have many ambitions. *grin* (I definitely haven't failed to post out of lazyness!) My postings are handwritten in my journal, and the photos in my library. At present I'm working to transcribe these onto my computer, match them up with photographs...and proof read them in attempt to catch my miserable spelling before you do (which rarely happens!).

But, in the mean time, I want to get on with telling you about my here and now.

So here is a wee overview to catch you all up to the present. (Don't forget details will come! LOTS OF THEM!)

End of June: After I left Japan, I continued my travels through China. I was based in Beijing, and took a few excursions from here including a stunning trip to the Great Wall in Huang Huay.

July: I traveled (mainly solo) through Thailand and Laos. I hiked through the jungle, lived in tree forts and at a temple, and spent glorious time swimming in Thailand's turquoise waters with J. It was absolutely amazing.

During the end of July I cherished a week with my WHOLE family in Iowa. I love that miraculous week each year!

Photo taken by my Pops, editing done by me.

August: I visited Teeo in Seattle; fell in love with the city and the fellow. Then I spent more cherished time in Iowa AND...

August 18th
, I redeployed for Antarctica.

I have a position working in Mac Ops: McMurdo Radio and Communications Operations. I operate High Frequency (HF) and Very High Frequency (VHF) radios and utilize Iridium Satellite telephones to communicate with the South Pole, Scientists and support staff working in remote deep field locations. I also monitor and track flights, making comms with pilots flying helicopters, twin otters, and C130 military planes around the continent.

I love my job and my co-workers.

Down here on the ice August through October is considered Winfly, or Winter Flyover. Three flights are sent down the last week of August to officially end the Antarctic winter and prepare for the Austral summer; I was on the third flight. After these flights we are locked in, no more flights touch the continent until mainbody begins in October. Over the course of 6 weeks the sun very slowly rises, transforming 4 hours of light per day (as it was the first day I arrived) to 24 hours of daylight (as it will be in two short weeks).

Photo by Wade, Pegasus Electrician

The sunsets are phenomenal, the storms fierce, the temperatures frigid and the community cozy.

I am happy here.

1 comment:

Jenerator said...

Tia Puppy! If you see ann curry while she's there tell her you know me. she'll have no idea what you're talking about and you probably won't get this before she's there....

and you probably have no idea what I'm talking about her either.... oh well.