Friday, September 21, 2007

Evans Again

Yesterday, I had one of those days, one of those days that remind me why I love this continent.

I went on a working boondoggle, a flagging trip out to Cape Evans.

Photo by Rob, a Line Soo Chief

Webster Dictionary describes a boondoggle as:
“Work or an activity that is pointless but gives the appearance of having value.”
This cracks me up. I especially find humorous the descriptor: pointless, which transforms the phrase 'working boondoggle' into an absolute oxymoron.

Photo by Erik Kawasaki, Network Engineer

My boondoggle: placing flags every 150 yards on a newly mapped sea ice road. I got out of town, back to Barnes Glacier (where I went on my birthday last year), into the Cape Evans Hut again!



Photo by Erik Kawasaki, Network Engineer

AND I got an amazing workout! Holding a running motorized drill and hopping on and off a snow mobile about 100 times while wearing 10lb boots and 4 layers of heavy clothing can keep the heart rate up! *laughter*

Photo by Erik Kawasaki, Network Engineer

We had contests to see which teams can make straight lines, laughing and poking fun at each other the whole way. Plus the –10 below temps really gave me (and the others) a reason to dance around out in the snow…



I had so much fun.

No comments: